College of Charleston
Counseling & Substance Abuse Services
181 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29424-0001
Free Quit Smoking Seminar
Thursday, March 18, 2004
The College of Charleston will host a free nicotine dependency recovery seminar, open to the public, on Thursday, March 18, 2004, from 7-9 pm. This abrupt nicotine cessation education program will be presented on the college campus in Maybank Hall, Room 100, located on the corner of Calhoun and St. Philip Street. Those unfamiliar with the campus can access a map via the following web address: http://www.cofc.edu/about/map.html (Maybank is building #14).
Seminar Content: After examining the onset of true chemical dependency as nicotine imitated acetylcholine and exerted control over the direct and indirect flow of more than 200 neurochemicals, including select dopamine (reward), serotonin (mood) and adrenaline (stimulation) pathways, participants take an extremely graphic whirlwind tour of the destruction inflicted by each puff of the more than 4,000 chemicals released by each burning cigarette.
The seminar provides a detailed dependency recovery roadmap of the timing and sequencing of chemical withdrawal and psychological recovery. It relies heavily upon recent studies in areas such as symptom frequency, crave episode frequency and duration, coping techniques, time distortion, blood sugar stabilization, the nicotine-caffeine interaction and overcoming the emotional loss. Conscious denial rationalizations, minimizations and blame transference are exposed, and weak quitting motivations such as fear and cost are recast into sustainable motives.
Presenter: The seminar is presented by John R. Polito, a former thirty-year three-pack-a-day smoker and founder of WhyQuit.com, the internet's oldest abrupt nicotine cessation forum.
Pre-Registration: Seating is limited to 100. Walk-ins are welcome, but to reserve a seat or for additional information, please call Laura Lindroth, Health Educator at the College of Charleston, at (843) 442-5522 or John R. Polito at (843) 797-3234. Free telephone follow-up support will be provided by College of Charleston Peer Educators.
Laura Lindroth, MPH, CHES
College of Charleston
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free Quitting E-books
Read both books & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method
Written January 29, 2004 and page format updated June 15, 2015 by John R. Polito