Welcome to World No Tobacco Day 2016
Welcome to the largest collection of free quitting tools anywhere. WhyQuit is a commercial-free, all-volunteer labor of love that doesn't want any of your money. In fact, we decline donations. What we want is to assist you in permanently arresting your brain's nicotine "wanting" disorder.
As smokers, it wasn't that we couldn't hear the entire world screaming the insanity of us smoking pack after pack. It was that our chemically enslaved brain was screaming even louder that smoking was as important as eating, that quitting would be like starvation.
The beauty of this temporary journey of re-adjustment called recovery is that within 2 to 3 weeks we awaken to the fact that nicotine addiction was about living a massive lie, that everything we did while smoking, dipping, chewing or vaping nicotine can be done as well or better without it.
Imagine your brain's constant cycle of wanting, needing, and begging for more at last coming to an end. Imagine your journey of re-adjustment leading to entire days where you never once think about wanting to smoke, dip, vape or chew, to a calm and quiet mind, to the comforts of home. Would that be a good thing or bad? Then why listen to your addiction's lies? Why fear freedom?
The brain needs up to 72 hours to rid itself of all nicotine, to re-sensitize once nicotine saturated receptors, and to move beyond peak withdrawal. It also needs time to down-regulate and eliminate the millions of extra nicotinic receptors that nicotine caused it to grow (up-regulation).
The subconscious mind needs time to encounter, break and extinguish all the nicotine conditioned feeding cues it established. The conscious thinking mind (the prefrontal cortex) needs time to sort through and discard the long list of lies it invented to explain why that next cigarette was so important, use rationalizations invented to try and make sense of deep inner "wanting" and urges it didn't understand.
Flavor, stress, pleasure, boredom, friendship, taste, there was really only one reason we smoked, because we had to, because a rising tide of anxieties would begin building when we didn't. Flavor, taste? There are no taste buds inside our lungs, the place we sucked and briefly held all smoke. Like, love? By now you hopefully realize that love and "want" are two different things. It wasn't that we liked smoking but that we didn't like what happened when we didn't.
Nicotine addiction is a brain "wanting" illness that can be fully arrested but not cured. As permanent as alcoholism, it enslaves the same brain dopamine pathways as illegal drugs, including heroin, cocaine and methamphetamines. Our brain's "pay attention" dopamine circuitry (the mind's priorities teacher) was hacked, taken hostage and forced to falsely teach us that smoking nicotine was as important as pre-programmed survival activities such as eating food and drinking liquids. Contrary to store tobacco marketing signs, we didn't continue smoking for pleasure but for relief from want and need.
Welcome to WhyQuit, home to thousands of the most knowledgeable ex-users on earth. Here you'll discover that knowledge isn't just power. It's the one quitting method that most users have never, ever tried. WhyQuit's dream and goal is to watch you become far more dependency recovery savvy than nicotine's infuence upon your brain, subconscious, emotions, thinking, health and life.
While we cannot promise that your journey will be easy, we do promise to do our best to keep our web pages and sites up, running and always a mouse click away. We hope you'll explore the large array of motivation, education, and support tools we assembled in anticipation of your arrival. They are our gift to you.
What do we want in return? Although not necessary, once comfortably residing here on "Easy Street" with us, it's our hope that you'll consider sharing some of what you've learned with smoking friends and loved ones, as not discovering or being taught the Law of Addiction is a horrible, horrible reason to die.
So glad you found us! Just that first brave step.
Yes you can!
Here's a quick tour of a few key links ...
- Our site's main entry page and your guide to three key cessation ingredients - motivation, education and support. Bookmark this link in your favorites folder as it's the gateway to all of our materials.
Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to the core curriculum taught here at WhyQuit. It's a collection of more than 100 short quit smoking articles, to more than 200 video quit smoking lessons, to "Never Take Another Puff," Joel's popular free quit smoking ebook that's had more than 4 million downloads, and to Joel's Jukebox, where you can play MP3 lessons on a fast loading online player. All of these materials were written and produced by Joel Spitzer of Chicago, possibly the world's leading nicotine dependency recovery counselor. A good starting point is Joel's Daily Quitting Lesson Guide.
Freedom - Highly focused, Freedom is believed to be the world's only 100% nicotine-free peer support forum. A cold turkey quitting forum, the price of group admission is a nicotine-free body (72 hours) and any relapse - even one puff of nicotine - permanently revokes group posting privileges.
Topic Index - This is an alphabetical topic index to over 400 key messages among Freedom's more than 300,000 member posts.
Turkeyville - The primary focus of our Facebook group is to aid new cold turkey quitters in navigating the first few days of recovery. If stopping cold turkey we invite you to apply for membership. Do take a moment to read the group's Rules as continuing membership is dependent upon them.
Navigating the First 72 Hours - Nicotine's half-life inside your body is about two-hours. Within 72 hours your blood will test nicotine-free and 90% of nicotine's metabolites will have passed through your urine. It is here where withdrawal normally peaks in intensity and then begins to gradually decline. This link is a roadmap to help you navigate early withdrawal, the most demanding phase of recovery.
How Long Does Recovery Last? - This article shares the timing, sequencing, phases and symptoms associated with the amazing temporary period of adjustment and healing that will transport you to a rich sense of calmness and new expectations of going your entire day without wanting to put nicotine back into your bloodstream.
Let World No Tobacco Day 2016 be when you discovered that the most empowering tool of all, toward permanently arresting your addiction to smoking or chewing nicotine, is an educated mind. The next few minutes are all that matter and each is entirely doable. There was always only one rule ... no nicotine just one day at a time, Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew!
Yes you can!
Here's a quick tour of a few key motivation links ...
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free Quitting E-books
Read both books & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
World No Tobacco Day 2016 is only a day,
an opportunity, and no different than tomorrow.
What's important is to stop delaying education.
Knowledge truly is power. Turn on the lights!
WhyQuit World No Tobacco Day Articles