FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Charleston, South Carolina
Jennings Quitters Download
Free Quit Smoking BooksWhyQuit News - Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 00:15 EST
Although Peter Jennings was known for thinking ahead it's difficult to imagine that he could have foreseen the impact of his passing upon smokers. Quitting forums across the Internet are reporting a sudden influx of concerned smokers. They're not just reading a few web pages about quitting but downloading entire books.
WhyQuit, the Internet's oldest forum devoted exclusively to the art, science and psychology of abrupt nicotine cessation (educated "cold turkey" quitting), has seen its collection of free electronic books flying off the shelves.
"Although we'd love having Peter back, I hope his family knows that their horrific loss is indirectly translating into untold thousands of others avoiding a similar fate," says John Polito, WhyQuit's editor and founder. "His influence is still at work, saving lives." WhyQuit's free offerings include the following:
- "Never Take Another Puff," a 149 page PDF quitting book by Joel Spitzer of Chicago, WhyQuit's Director of Education - http://whyquit.com/joel/ntap.pdf
- "Freedom from Nicotine," the 60 page quitting guide used by John Polito in his bimonthly College of Charleston quitting seminars - http://whyquit.com/ffn.doc
- "Nicotine Cessation Tips," a 7 page collection of 70 quitting tips - http://whyquit.com/tips.doc
"Joel's 'Never Take Another Puff' is the foundation for all our online work," says Polito. It's a collection of ninety short quitting articles on every topic imaginable. Since 1972 Joel Spitzer has devoted his life to smoking prevention and cessation. Aside from managing WhyQuit's free quitting forum, where he daily addresses the concerns of 3,500 online quitters, he presents quitting clinics and seminars for the Evanston and Skokie Illinois Departments of Health.
"I've yet to locate anyone who has presented more quitting programs than Joel," says Polito. "He's not only the Hank Aaron/Babe Ruth of smoking cessation, like Peter Jennings, his wisdom and insights seem to be in a league of their own."
One of Joel's key lessons is that the true measure of nicotine's power isn't in how hard it is to quit but in how easy it is to relapse.
"What everyone should learn from the Peter Jennings story is how even after twenty years no one is immune from relapse, that there is absolutely no legitimate reason to relapse and that relapsing actually carries potentially life threatening implications," says Spitzer.
"We hope that Peter Jennings' tragedy helps to raise public awareness to the importance of smoking prevention for kids and the importance for adults to work at cessation efforts before they too face such life threatening implications," says Spitzer. "It truly is a fight for health and life."
According to Spitzer, the way to best avoid ever having to face this same fight yourself, or to enhance your chances of surviving in the event that a disease is already in progress, is still to stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff!
WhyQuit is more than just quitting articles and online peer support. It's home to a number of tragic stories of young smokers who lost their lives to their dependency. Visitors learn about Bryan, who was 34 when small cell lung cancer left his two-year-old son fatherless. They'll meet Noni, who had just turned 33 when small cell lung cancer left her six-month-old son without a mom.
"Most smokers know they need to quit," says Polito. "It's our mission to teach them how."
WhyQuit's basic "how to quit smoking" video
Have you read our free quitting e-books?
Read both and experience the "POWER" of knowledge!
(Click each book's image to learn more about it before downloading)
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free 240 page nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 160 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Turkeyville - Visit WhyQuit's Facebook cold turkey support group, where the primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method!
Article written August 11, 2005 and page last updated December 1, 2012 by John R. Polito