Ask Joel your quit smoking question
WhyQuit News - Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 0600 a.m. EST
Do you have a quitting question? Now you can have it answered online for free by one of America's leading smoking cessation counselors, Joel Spitzer of Chicago. The question and answer forum is called AskJoel.
Joel has been providing smoking cessation and prevention services since 1972. Having started as a volunteer speaker and then a professional staff member of the American Cancer Society, he became smoking programs coordinator for the Rush North Shore Medical Center in Skokie, Illinois, where he conducted cessation and prevention programs from 1978 until 2000.
Today Joel provides smoking cessation and prevention services for the Evanston and Skokie Health Departments. He also serves as education director at Freedom. Freedom is a 3,500 member free online nicotine dependency recovery classroom and peer support forum linked to WhyQuit.com, the Internet's leading cold turkey quitting resource.
Over the past 33 years Joel has presented more than 325 six-session stop smoking clinics spanning 13 days, more than 570 single session seminars, and has spoken at more than 30 conferences on smoking and health. He has been heard on numerous talk radio broadcasts, appeared on CNBC and Fox News, and has been quoted in news articles across the nation.
But Joel's greatest influence has been online, where since 2000 his collection of 100 free quitting articles (known as Joel's Library - WhyQuit.com/joel ) have been shared at support groups and message boards across the Internet. Entitled "Never Take Another Puff", the articles are also available in PDF book format (1.2MB). More than 126,000 copies of "Never Take Another Puff" have been downloaded since September, 2005.
After dealing with thousands and thousands of smokers one-on-one, there may still be a few quitting questions that Joel has yet to field but probably not many.
Read what the Senn High School director had to say about Joel on February 7, 1978.
Anyone who knows Joel will quickly recognize that he's changed little in 28 years.
WhyQuit's basic "how to quit smoking" video
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method!