Shadow FDA Panel Wants Menthol Out of Cigarettes
The FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Shadow Panel today released the following statement, issued with the unanimous support of its members:
"The FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Shadow Panel supports the elimination of the use of menthol in cigarettes. There is strong evidence that menthol acts as an anesthetic agent that makes cigarette smoking more appealing by masking the harshness of burning tobacco. The addition of menthol deceives consumers into thinking that cigarettes are less harsh and therefore safer. Furthermore, for more than half a century, menthol cigarette brands have been disproportionately targeted to African Americans.
The FDA Shadow Panel wishes to emphasize two additional points. First, we believe that the FDA is digging a hole for itself by trying to provide a scientific argument for increased addiction, morbidity, or mortality attributable to menthol cigarettes. The central question is not a scientific one, but a marketing matter.
Second, there is no evidence that any safer cigarette exists. Congress chose to ban flavored cigarettes not because they are more harmful or addictive, but because it believed that candy and fruit flavors were a significant factor in the marketing of cigarettes. The FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee has no choice but to use the same criteria to evaluate menthol. The central question is whether menthol plays a role in marketing cigarettes to consumers. The FDA Shadow Panel believes it is undeniable that menthol is used to increase the appeal of cigarettes."
The FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Shadow Panel was formed to monitor the FDA's new agency on tobacco and its Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Panel, as well as to issue alternative or parallel consensus statements and recommendations. Each of the members of the Shadow Panel has worked for at least a decade to counteract the tobacco pandemic, and none has a conflict of interest with regard to the tobacco industry or pharmaceutical industry.
The members of the Shadow Panel are:
Alan Blum, MD - Co-Chair
Director, Center for the Study of Tobacco and Society
University of Alabama
K.H. (Heinz) Ginzel, MD
Professor Emeritus of Pharmacology and Toxicology
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Edward Anselm, MD
Medical Director, Americhoice
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
John R. Polito, JD
Founder and Director of WhyQuit.com
Co-Founder of Freedom from Nicotine
Eric Solberg, MS
Associate Dean, University of Texas Health Sciences Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Michael Siegel, MD, MPH - Co-Chair
Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences
Boston University School of Public Health
Martin Pion, BSc
Founder, Missouri GASP (Group Against Smoking Pollution) Inc.
Michael S. Givel, PhD
Associate Professor of Political Science
University of Oklahoma
John O'Hara, BS, MS, PhD
President and Founder, Maryland GASP
- Official Shadow Panel Press Release
- Shadow Panel Website
- Shadow Panel Members, Bios and Financial Disclosures
- Section 917 of The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009
- The FDA's official "Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee"
- FDA Tobacco Advisory Committee: 6 Jokers in a Stacked Deck - 03/03/10 OfficialWire.com
- Group Objects to 2 Members of Tobacco Safety Panel - 06/07/10 New York Times
- Code of Federal Regulations Definition of Financial Conflict of Interest
- U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - 05/13/08 John R. Polito
- A Flavoring Seen as a Means of Marketing to Blacks - 05/13/08 New York Times
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free E-books
Read both & destroy fear driven anxieties!
Discover Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's basic guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to more than a thousand nicotine cessation articles, videos and support group discussions.
- Joel's Library - Joel Spitzer began presenting stop smoking clinics and seminars in 1976. WhyQuit's education director since 2000, Joel's Library is home to his life's work. It includes Joel's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide," more than 100 original stop smoking articles, his free ebook "Never Take Another Puff," and to his ever growing collection of more than 400 stop smoking videos.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine shares the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
- Turkeyville - Imagine surrounding yourself with more than 10,000 cold turkey quitters. Turkeyville is a Facebook support group exclusively for cold turkey quitters.
- Freedom - Freedom was WhyQuit's original 1999 stop smoking support group. No longer accepting members, its 453,000 archived posts continue to share recovery insights.