FOR IMMEDIATE FREE RELEASE
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Contact: John R. Polito
Note: On some unknown date prior to June 17, 2008 the FDA decided to restore and put back the original video clip which is now functional at FDA Patient Safety News.
On Tuesday, FDA Patient Safety News released a video clip sharing warnings about "serious neuropsychiatric problems" in users of Pfizer's quit smoking pill Chantix, including suicide. Featured yesterday in a WhyQuit article exploring concerns raised by the video, this morning FDA site links to the clip were no longer functional.
The FDA has yet to respond to inquiry as to why the video clip was pulled and whether or not Pfizer played any role in the FDA's decision to do so.
A copy of the pulled FDA Chantix clip is being made available for viewing at WhyQuit. WhyQuit shares this clip based upon the FDA's Patient Safety News website assertion that, "FDA Patient Safety News is a product of the US Federal Government, and as such is NOT copyrighted or restricted in any way. We encourage the further use and distribution of the video or text of the program by anyone – either in its entirety or as individual stories."
In a separate development, it's reported that Public Citizen, a non-profit Washington based consumer protection watchdog, has called upon the FDA to require a "black box" warning label for Chantix due to suicide and other behavioral risk factors. Reserved for drugs linked to serious or life-threatening adverse events, a "black box" warning is the strongest warning mandated by the FDA.XXX
No Copyright - This Article is Public Domain.
Last updated April 4, 2008 at 11:48 EST
Previous WhyQuit Varenicline Articles
- Chantix and Champix lined to depression, aggression and suicide - June 18, 2008
- Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evidence - June 12, 2008
- Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths - May 21, 2008
- Strong Safety Signal Seen for New Varenicline Risks - ISMP, May 21, 2008
- U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - May 13, 2008
- New FDA Chantix suicide risk video clip raises concerns - April 2, 2008
- FDA Chantix Handling Betrayed Public Health - February 29, 2008
- "What if my Chantix or Champix attempt failed?" - October 18, 2007
- Chantix - an 8 in 10 failure rate or worse? - December 16, 2006
- "Will Chantix really help me quit smoking?" - August 25, 2006 - article kept updated & current
WhyQuit's basic "how to quit smoking" video
Have you read our free quitting e-books?
Read both and experience the "POWER" of knowledge!
(Click each book's image to learn more about it before downloading)
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free 240 page nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 160 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Turkeyville - Visit WhyQuit's Facebook cold turkey support group, where the primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Written April 3, 2008 and and page last updated November 24, 2012 by John R. Polito