FOR IMMEDIATE FREE RELEASE
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Contact: John R. Polito
Note: On some unknown date prior to June 17, 2008 the FDA decided to restore and put back the original video clip which is now functional at FDA Patient Safety News.
On Tuesday, FDA Patient Safety News released a video clip sharing warnings about "serious neuropsychiatric problems" in users of Pfizer's quit smoking pill Chantix, including suicide. Featured yesterday in a WhyQuit article exploring concerns raised by the video, this morning FDA site links to the clip were no longer functional.
The FDA has yet to respond to inquiry as to why the video clip was pulled and whether or not Pfizer played any role in the FDA's decision to do so.
A copy of the pulled FDA Chantix clip is being made available for viewing at WhyQuit. WhyQuit shares this clip based upon the FDA's Patient Safety News website assertion that, "FDA Patient Safety News is a product of the US Federal Government, and as such is NOT copyrighted or restricted in any way. We encourage the further use and distribution of the video or text of the program by anyone - either in its entirety or as individual stories."
In a separate development, it's reported that Public Citizen, a non-profit Washington based consumer protection watchdog, has called upon the FDA to require a "black box" warning label for Chantix due to suicide and other behavioral risk factors. Reserved for drugs linked to serious or life-threatening adverse events, a "black box" warning is the strongest warning mandated by the FDA.XXX
No Copyright - This Article is Public Domain
Last updated April 4, 2008 at 11:48 EST
Other WhyQuit Varenicline Articles
- BMJ's non-publication policy should extend to pharma's nicotine, 10/19/13
- A letter to Obama: one nicotine addict to another, 09/26/13
- Gallup Poll: cold turkey 48 times smarter than Nicorette, 08/26/13
- Is a 14% Chantix success rate worth risking death?, 06/14/11
- Chantix fails to defeat nicotine patch, 03/30/11
- Chantix serious injuries exceed 8,500 01/28/11
- Chantix - Champix worth questioned 01/06/11
- Five facts Chantix ads keep hidden December 29, 2009
- Chantix and Champix lined to depression, aggression and suicide - June 18, 2008
- Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evidence - June 12, 2008
- Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths - May 21, 2008
- Strong Safety Signal Seen for New Varenicline Risks - ISMP, May 21, 2008
- U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - May 13, 2008
- New FDA Chantix suicide risk video clip raises concerns - April 2, 2008
- FDA Chantix Handling Betrayed Public Health - February 29, 2008
- "What if my Chantix or Champix attempt failed?" - October 18, 2007
- Chantix - an 8 in 10 failure rate or worse? - December 16, 2006
- "Will Chantix really help me quit smoking?" - August 25, 2006 - article kept updated & current
WhyQuit's basic "how to quit smoking" video
|Knowledge is a Quitting Method!|