Test your quit smoking IQ
WhyQuit News - Sunday, October 23, 2005
How long does it take for all nicotine to exit the body after quitting? Why can smokers skip breakfast and lunch without experiencing hunger pains? How does nicotine interact with caffeine? What do you do when quitting if you have a drinking problem too?
Surprisingly, most smokers know very little about nicotine or quitting. Oh, they probably know how to put on a nicotine patch, chew nicotine gum or relax for a hypnotist, but amazingly few have ever taken the time to actually read the instructions that came with their addiction.
WhyQuit.com, a free quitting forum run by volunteer cessation counselors, has put together a short 30 question exam called "WhyQuit's Quitting Quiz." Designed as a teaching tool, the quiz automatically grades itself as each question is answered. Once the correct answer is selected it allows exam takers to explore explanations associated with unselected responses, without penalty.
Questions address the addictiveness of nicotine, the timing of physical withdrawal, how to avoid needless symptoms, crave episode duration and timing, crave coping techniques, the law of addiction, relapse prevention, quitting crutches, the emotional loss, quitting methods, and overcoming conscious rationalizations and minimizations.
Nicotine is just a chemical with an IQ of zero. When it comes to quitting, knowledge truly is a quitter's most potent weapon but only if acquired and put to work. The quiz is available at http://whyquit.com/whyquit/Quitting.htm.
Our free quitting e-books
Read both & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method