A New Years quit smoking letter to the editor
Cigarette prices shooting through the roof, smokers standing outside in the rain and cold, yet half of adult smokers still smoking themselves to death, it evidences the truth taught by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, that nicotine dependency is a brain wanting disorder, mental illness and disease.
As real and permanent as alcoholism, hijacked brain dopamine pathways leave nicotine addicts totally convinced that that next fix is as important as eating. But nicotine addiction is about living a lie. Without food we starve. Without nicotine we gradually awaken and thrive.
If hooked, try recalling the calm and quiet, before getting hooked, of going days, weeks and months without once wanting to smoke nicotine? Being unable to do so is a hallmark of addiction. Why fear coming home? Why be afraid of again going days then weeks without wanting to smoke nicotine?
During 2011, more smokers will successfully quit smoking cold turkey than by all other quitting methods combined. Roughly half will claim that it was vastly easier than quitting product commercials had led them to believe.
Knowledge is power. Let New Years 2011 be the day that you became dependency recovery smarter than your addiction is strong. Within 72 hours you can move beyond peak withdrawal and reside inside a nicotine-free body. But just one puff and you have to start over. One is too many and a thousand never enough. One equals all. There's just one rule ... no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time. Yes you can!
John R. Polito
Nicotine Cessation Educator
106 Aldrich Place
Goose Creek, SC 29445
Write your own New Years quit smoking letter to the editor
New Years is the biggest quitting day of the year. Above is the 250 word letter I sent to my local newspaper. The bigger the paper the fewer words they normally allow. It's likely that your local newspaper is online and would welcome a letter from you. Most only print letters from local area readers. It's why your voice is so important. It's a golden opportunity to reach out and share the most important lesson of all, the Law of Addiction. Thanks for being part of the team. Together we can and are making a difference.
Happy New Year!
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free Quitting E-books
Read both books & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method
Written December 27, 2010 and page format updated June 7, 2015 by John R. Polito