|April 3, 2008||John R. Polito|
This page is no longer being maintained and is for historical reference only. Visit the FDA's Chantix Information page for Chantix changes and updates.
FDA pulls video clip
admitting Chantix suicide link
On Tuesday, FDA Patient Safety News released a video clip sharing warnings about "serious neuropsychiatric problems" in users of Pfizer's quit smoking pill Chantix, including suicide. Featured yesterday in a WhyQuit article exploring concerns raised by the video, this morning FDA site links to the clip were no longer functional.
The FDA has yet to respond to inquiry as to why the video clip was pulled and whether or not Pfizer played any role in the FDA's decision to do so.
A copy of the pulled FDA Chantix clip is being made available for viewing at WhyQuit. WhyQuit shares this clip based upon the FDA's Patient Safety News website assertion that, "FDA Patient Safety News is a product of the US Federal Government, and as such is NOT copyrighted or restricted in any way. We encourage the further use and distribution of the video or text of the program by anyone - either in its entirety or as individual stories."
In a separate development, it's reported that Public Citizen, a non-profit Washington based consumer protection watchdog, has called upon the FDA to require a "black box" warning label for Chantix due to suicide and other behavioral risk factors. Reserved for drugs linked to serious or life-threatening adverse events, a "black box" warning is the strongest warning mandated by the FDA.
Other WhyQuit Varenicline Articles
- BMJ's non-publication policy should extend to pharma's nicotine, 10/19/13
- A letter to Obama: one nicotine addict to another, 09/26/13
- Gallup Poll: cold turkey 48 times smarter than Nicorette, 08/26/13
- Is a 14% Chantix success rate worth risking death?, 06/14/11
- Chantix fails to defeat nicotine patch, 03/30/11
- Chantix serious injuries exceed 8,500 01/28/11
- Chantix - Champix worth questioned 01/06/11
- Five facts Chantix ads keep hidden December 29, 2009
- Chantix and Champix lined to depression, aggression and suicide - June 18, 2008
- Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evidence - June 12, 2008
- Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths - May 21, 2008
- Strong Safety Signal Seen for New Varenicline Risks - ISMP, May 21, 2008
- U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - May 13, 2008
- New FDA Chantix suicide risk video clip raises concerns - April 2, 2008
- FDA Chantix Handling Betrayed Public Health - February 29, 2008
- "What if my Chantix or Champix attempt failed?" - October 18, 2007
- Chantix - an 8 in 10 failure rate or worse? - December 16, 2006
- "Will Chantix really help me quit smoking?" - August 25, 2006 - article kept updated & current
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free E-books
Read both & destroy fear driven anxieties!
Discover Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's basic guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to more than a thousand nicotine cessation articles, videos and support group discussions.
- Joel's Library - Joel Spitzer began presenting stop smoking clinics and seminars in 1976. WhyQuit's education director since 2000, Joel's Library is home to his life's work. It includes Joel's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide," more than 100 original stop smoking articles, his free ebook "Never Take Another Puff," and to his ever growing collection of more than 400 stop smoking videos.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine shares the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
- Turkeyville - Imagine surrounding yourself with more than 10,000 cold turkey quitters. Turkeyville is a Facebook support group exclusively for cold turkey quitters.
- Freedom - Freedom was WhyQuit's original 1999 stop smoking support group. No longer accepting members, its 453,000 archived posts continue to share recovery insights.