FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 22, 2008
Charleston, South Carolina
Contact: John R. Polito (843) 797-3234
Pfizer's Chantix Continues Killing Quitters
Marketed in the U.S. as Chantix and other nations as Champix, another bomb just fell on Pfizer's quit smoking pill varenicline. According to a just released report by The Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP), a non-profit medication watchdog, "In the first quarter of 2008, varenicline accounted for more reports of serious injury than the 10 best selling brand name prescription drugs combined."
The report indicates that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) received serious adverse event reports on 773 different drugs during the 1st quarter of 2008. Chantix again topped the list. During the 1st quarter there were 1,001 new reports of serious injuries among varenicline users, including 50 additional deaths. By comparison, varenicline users accounted for 998 serious injury reports and 78 deaths during the 4th quarter of 2007.
The ISMP report notes that there were only 17 reports of serious injury among all forms of nicotine replacement therapy combined (the nicotine patch, gum, lozenge, spray, and inhaler). This important quitting method risk data, when combined with results from the only head-to-head study pitting varenicline against NRT, should allow FDA officials to engaged in informed risk-benefit analysis.
A Pfizer smoking cessation study published in February 2008 compared 10 weeks of nicotine patch use to 12 weeks of varenicline use. Even after Pfizer gifted varenicline a two-week treatment advantage, varenicline failed to prove superior in 7-day point prevalence findings. Participants were asked at both 6 months and 1 year whether or not they had smoked a cigarette in the past 7 days. Pfizer's researchers, which included four Pfizer employees, were forced to report that there "were no significant differences" between nicotine patch and Chantix smoking abstinence rates at either 6 months or a year.
According to the ISMP report, varenicline again recorded the highest number of suicide/self-harm events of any medication with 226. The combined total for the next two closest drugs reporting suicide attempts was 22% less (oxycodone with 89 reports and acetaminophen with 87).
The ISMP report contends that broader warnings are needed. It encourages the FDA and Pfizer to add a prominent warning about accident risks to both the patient Medication Guide and prescribing information sheet for doctors, a warning similar to the new warnings about psychiatric side effects.
The report also flags additional kinds of side effects, including
serious accidental injuries. It highlights traffic accidents and concerns that varenicline induced seizures, disturbances in vision, panic attacks or impaired judgment may be playing a role.
It encourages further investigation of possible varenicline links to diabetes, potentially life-threatening interruption of the heart rhythm, heart attacks, strokes, and moderate to severe allergic reactions.
The ISMP's earlier May 2008 report raised concerns about potential alertness and motor control related accidents among transportation industry workers using varenicline. In response, the Federal Aviation Administration banned the use of Chantix by airline pilots, the Department of Transportation limited its use among truck drivers, and the Department of Defense prohibited its use by aircraft and missile crews.
This time the bomb dropped on varenicline may prove fatal. If varenicline is not more effective than NRT, while causing nearly 5,800% reports of greater harm than NRT, then why is it still on the market? If the FDA has difficulty answering this question, it may well be that our nation's medication system has far greater concerns than just varenicline.
No Copyright - This Article is Public Domain
John R. Polito is solely responsible for the content of this article. Any factual error will be immediately corrected upon receipt of credible authority in support of the writer's contention. E-mail comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Links and Articles
- Nicotine cessation: lost in the deserts of Abu Dhabi, Polito, JR, 03/16/15
- 10 studies screaming "leave replacement nicotine alone!" Polito, JR, 01/01/15
- Australia's half-baked quit smoking campaign, Polito, JR, Nov. 30, 2013
- The Great American quit smoking sham, Polito, JR, Nov. 18, 2013
- BMJ's non-publication policy should extend to pharma's nicotine, Polito JR, Oct. 19, 2013
- A letter to Obama: one nicotine addict to another, Polito JR, Sept. 26, 2013
- Gallup Poll: cold turkey 48 times smarter than Nicorette, Polito JR, Aug. 26, 2013
- Cold turkey quitting still king, Polito JR, July 15, 2013
- Pharma bias destroys ITC quit smoking medication study, Polito JR, Aug. 20, 2012
- Potent warnings, horrible quitting advice: what's the CDC smoking?, Polito JR, March 17, 2012
- Replacement Nicotine's Killing Fields, Polito JR, Feb. 11, 2012
- Dying truths about quitting smoking methods, Polito JR, Nov. 14, 2011
- Bias against cold turkey quitting apparent in literature, Siegel, M, Nov. 3, 2011
- Suicidal behavior and depression in smoking cessation treatments, Moore TJ et al, Nov. 3, 2011
- Study finds cold turkey quitting more effective but concludes opposite, Siegel, M, Nov. 1, 2011
- Tar wars over smoking cessation, BMJ Link, Chapman, S, Aug. 8, 2011
- Is a 14% Chantix success rate worth risking death?, Polito JR, June 14, 2011
- Chantix fails to defeat nicotine patch, Polito JR, March 30, 2011
- Chantix serious injuries exceed 8,500, Polito JR, Jan. 29, 2011
- Chantix - Champix worth questioned, Polito JR, Jan. 6, 2011
- How to quit smoking, Polito JR, Dec. 18, 2010
- GlaxoSmithKline continues defrauding smokers, Polito JR, Nov. 2, 2010
- Little communication in failed war against smoking, Polito JR, August 8, 2010
- Addiction to Smoking Nicotine a Mental Illness and Disease, Polito JR, April 12, 2010
- Smokefree.gov really Buymeds.now, Polito JR, March 24, 2010
- American Association of Public Health Physicians Calls for End to Cold Turkey Discrimination, Nitzkin, JL, March 21, 2010
- CDC Ignores Cold Turkey Quitters, Polito JR, March 11, 2010
- New Study Shows That Even Extended Nicotine Replacement Therapy is Extremely Ineffective; Unaided Quitting Rates are Far Better , Siegel M, March 4, 2010
- Four Members of FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee Have Received Pharmaceutical Money; Influence of Industry on FDA Grows, Siegel M, March 2, 2010
- GlaxoSmithKline Given a Seat on FDA Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee, Siegel M, March 1, 2010
- The Global Research Neglect of Unassisted Smoking Cessation: Causes and Consequences, Chapman S and MacKenzie R. PLOS Medicine, February 2010
- Smoking Racket, ABC.net, Chapman S, February 10, 2010
- Five facts Chantix ads keep hidden, Polito JR, December 29, 2009
- UW-CTRI's Holiday Health Media Manipulation, Polito JR, December 16, 2009
- Petition for Honest Quit Smoking Studies, Polito JR, December 2, 2009
- University of Wisconsin: World's Pharm Nicotine Sales Center, Polito JRWhyQuit, November 12, 2009
- Free quit smoking ebook's 2 millionth download, Polito JR, October 12, 2009
- ALA's Not-On-Tobacco school quit smoking program not effective, Polito JR, September 7, 2009
- Tobacco control integrity champ demands review of U.S. cessation policyPolito JR, July 18, 2009
- IN MY VIEW: Effectiveness of Nicotine Replacement Therapy Needs to Be Re-Examined, Siegel M, July 17, 2009
- Nicotine patch inventor fudges patch study findings, Polito JR, July 12, 2009
- Cold turkey trounces pharmacology in GlaxoSmithKline quitting study, Polito JR, July 9, 2009
- Pharmaceutical Money-Related Bias in Smoking Cessation Research is Now Readily Apparent; New Article Demonstrates How This Bias Pushes Medication, Siegel M, July 8, 2009
- Initial National Expert Panel on Smoking Cessation Also Had Severe Conflicts of Interest with Big Pharma; Repeating the Mistake: Inexcusable , Siegel M, April 7, 2009
- New Study Shows that Nicotine Replacement Therapy is Ineffective for Gradual Smoking Cessation, But Concludes the Opposite, Siegel M, January 13, 2009
- Have smokers been hoodwinked and bamboozled by placebos?, Polito JR, Nov. 14, 2008
- ISMP Report -Quarter Watch: 2008 Quarter 1 - ISMP, 10/23/08
- Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evidence - John R. Polito, 06/12/08
- Chantix blamed for 3,063
serious injuries and 78 deaths - John R. Polito, 05/21/08
- Strong Safety Signal Seen for New Varenicline Risks - ISMP, 05/21/08
- U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - John R. Polito, 05/13/08
- Does updated tobacco treatment "Guideline" reflect sham science? - John R. Polito, 05/05/08
- FDA pulls video clip
admitting Chantix suicide link - John R. Polito, 04/03/08
- New FDA Chantix suicide risk video clip raises concerns - John R. Polito, 04/02/08
- FDA Chantix Handling Betrayed Public Health - John R. Polito, 02/08
- Windows media clip of WhyQuit's candid views on Chantix Champix: 18mb video for dial-up users | high res 53mb format | and 7mb audio only format, length 48 minutes, recorded 10/19/07 by Joel Spitzer
- Flawed research equates placebo to cold turkey - John R. Polito, 03/07
- Nicotine Fix - Behind Antismoking Policy, Influence of Drug Industry - Kevin Helliker, 02/07
- WSJ Highlights Financial Conflicts of Chair of Federal Guidelines Panel - Michael Siegel, MD 02/07
- Nixing the Patch: Smokers quit cold turkey - Ken Millstone, 02/07
- New Study Challenges Thinking on Use of NRT During Pregnancy - Michael Siegel, MD, 02/07
- Nicotine for the Fetus, the Infant and Adolescent - H.K. Ginzel, MD, 02/07
- The secret to quitting smoking - John R. Polito, 01/07
- Financial Ties Between Guideline Panels and Big Pharma Run Deep - Michael Siegel, MD, 01/07
- Chantix - an 8 in 10 failure rate or worse? - John R. Polito, 12/06
- Do physician's have a legal duty to ignore Guideline Recommendation 7? - John R. Polito, 12/06
- Is the U.S. government's quitting policy killing smokers? - John R. Polito, 10/06
- Will Chantix really help me quit smoking? - John R. Polito, 08/06
- It's unlikely this NRT study was blind - John R. Polito, 08/06
- Conference Sponsorship by Pharma Precludes Objective Symposium - Michael Siegel, MD 07/06
- 13th World Conference on Tobacco or Health Drenched in Nicotine - John R. Polito, 07/06
- Cold Turkey Twice as Effective as NRT or Zyban - John R. Polito, 05/06
- Nicotine Not Medicine, Its Use Not Therapy - John R. Polito, 04/06
- How to use behavioral findings to sell NRT - John R. Polito, 01/06
- GlaxoSmithKline Attacks Cold Turkey Quitting - John R. Polito, 12/05
- UK Guidance for NRT use in pregnancy and by children - ASH London, 12/05
- June 2000 Guideline Chairman Michael Fiore's Testimony - see PDF pages 14 & 15, 05/05
- The Nicotine Patch, Gum and Lozenge - Mounting Evidence of a Sham - John R. Polito, 04/05
- 40 Years of Progress? - Joel Spitzer, 10/04
- Widespread Blinding Failures Put NRT Studies in Serious Question - John R. Polito, 06/04
- Nicotine Gum Maker's Concern Raises Concerns - John R. Polito, 05/04
- A Quitter's Dilemma: Hooked on the Cure - New York Times, 05/04
- Quebec CT Quitters Disprove "Double Your Chances" NRT Assertion - John R. Polito, 04/04
- Are nicotine weaning products a bad joke? - John R. Polito, 10/03
- Is CT Quitting More Productive & Effective than NRT? - John R. Polito, 07/03
- Are Teens Getting Hooked on NRT? - John R. Polito, 06/03
- March 2003 OTC NRT Meta-Analysis Finds 93% Midyear Relapse Rate - John R. Polito, 03/03
- Quitting Methods - Who to Believe? - Joel Spitzer, 2003
- JAMA Study Concludes NRT is Ineffective - John R. Polito, 09/02
- Real-World Nicotine Patch and Gum Rates - John R. Polito, 06/02
- Does the OTC Nicotine Patch Really Double Your Chances of Quitting? - John R. Polito, 04/02
- Is Nicotine Replacement Therapy The Smoker's Last Best Hope? - John R. Polito, 11/00
- Financial Disclosures for June 2000 Guideline Panel - U.S. Public Health Service, 06/00
- June 2000 Guideline Recommendation 7 - pharmacotherapy use by all quitters - 06/00
Our free quitting e-books
Read both & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method