World No Tobacco Day is May 31
For the addicted yet brave, World No Tobacco Day is a golden midyear opportunity to invest time contemplating why the prospect of quitting is so frightening, how nicotine rewired their brain and took their mind's pay-attention pathways hostage, and why that next nicotine fix truly is their #1 priority in life, more important than food, health, money, family, friends, and, sadly, life itself.
World No Tobacco Day will bring thousands of dreamers to the Internet where they'll find it awash with every quick fix magic cure imaginable. But what most freedom seekers won't be told is that, according to the U.S. Surgeon General, nearly 90% of all long-term successful quitters quit smoking cold turkey.
And it isn't just here in the U.S. and Canada but around the globe. A study in the May 2006 edition of Addictive Behaviors found that a whopping 88% of successful long-term Australian quitters quit smoking cold turkey. Aside from almost all quitting nicotine cold, it also found that cold turkey quitters experienced success rates twice as high as achieved by those using the nicotine patch, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler or Zyban (bupropion).
This year varenicline (Chantix and Champix) is the new kid on the block. Pfizer boasts that it aided 1 in 5 clinical trial users in quitting for a year. But aside from Chantix - Champix use, a number of study design factors may have heavily influenced outcome. More alarming, there's mounting user concerns that Pfizer has failed to adequately warn smokers about "frequent" risk of significant muscle and joint pain (what Pfizer lists as "arthralgia, back pain, muscle cramp, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia" - see page 14), without telling users how frequently, or that symptoms may persist long after varenicline use has ended.
Unique among Internet quitting destinations, WhyQuit is the only major quit smoking site that will greet World No Tobacco Day visitors by telling them to keep their money in their pockets. An education and support oriented cold turkey quitting forum, WhyQuit sells nothing, advertises nothing and steadfastly refuses to accept donations.
Staffed entirely by volunteers, WhyQuit offers visitors what may be the Internet's largest collection of original quitting articles, Joel Spitzer's free 149 page PDF quitting book entitled "Never Take Another Puff," more than 160 free video counseling lessons, powerful motivational resources, and the Internet's only nicotine-free quit smoking support group, Freedom, and Facebook's most active support site, Turkeyville.
Nicotine addiction is about living a lie. It's about brain dopamine pathways -- the mind's priorities teacher -- being taken hostage and compelled to falsely convince us that smoking nicotine defines who we are, gives us our edge, and allows to cope. Quality cessation programs destroy false fears and needless anxieties, allowing quitters to notice and appreciate the unfolding beauty as they journey home.
Smokers would be wise to ponder the question, what dependency or recovery learning takes place by swallowing a pill, slapping on a patch, chewing gum, sucking a lozenge, getting hypnotized, enduring acupuncture or laser therapy? Although knowledge truly is power, it's a quitting method too that can dramatically enhance success. Let World No Tobacco Day 2007 be a day of discovery. Just one rule determining the outcome for all: no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time, Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew.
WhyQuit's basic "how to quit smoking" video
Have you read our free quitting e-books?
Read both and experience the "POWER" of knowledge!
(Click each book's image to learn more about it before downloading)
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free 240 page nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 160 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Turkeyville - Visit WhyQuit's Facebook cold turkey support group, where the primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Written May 28, 2007 and page last updated November 24, 2012 by John R. Polito.