World No Tobacco Day: a Golden Midyear Opportunity
For the addicted yet brave, World No Tobacco Day, Friday, May, 31, is a golden midyear opportunity to invest time contemplating why the prospect of quitting is so frightening, how nicotine rewired their brain and took their mind's pay-attention pathways hostage, and why that next nicotine fix truly is their #1 priority in life, more important than food, health, money, family, friends, and, sadly, life itself.
World No Tobacco Day will bring thousands of dreamers to the Internet where they'll find it awash with every quick fix magic cure imaginable. But what most freedom seekers won't be told is that, according to the U.S. Surgeon General, nearly 90% of all long-term successful quitters quit smoking cold turkey.
And it isn't just here in the U.S. and Canada but around the globe. A study in the May 2006 edition of Addictive Behaviors found that a whopping 88% of successful long-term Australian quitters quit smoking cold turkey. Aside from almost all quitting nicotine cold, it also found that cold turkey quitters experienced success rates twice as high as achieved by those using the nicotine patch, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler or Zyban (bupropion).
This year varenicline (Chantix and Champix) is the new kid on the block. Pfizer boasts that it aided 1 in 5 clinical trial users in quitting for a year. But aside from Chantix - Champix use, a number of study design factors may have heavily influenced outcome. More alarming, there's mounting user concerns that Pfizer has failed to adequately warn smokers [Internet Archive link] about "frequent" risk of significant muscle and joint pain (what Pfizer lists [Internet Archive link] as "arthralgia, back pain, muscle cramp, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia" - see page 14), without telling users how frequently, or that symptoms may persist long after varenicline use has ended.
Unique among Internet quitting destinations, WhyQuit is the only major quit smoking site that will greet World No Tobacco Day visitors by telling them to keep their money in their pockets. An education and support oriented cold turkey quitting forum, WhyQuit sells nothing, advertises nothing and steadfastly refuses to accept donations.
Staffed entirely by volunteers, WhyQuit offers visitors what may be the Internet's largest collection of original quitting articles, Joel Spitzer's free 149 page PDF quitting book entitled "Never Take Another Puff," more than 160 free video counseling lessons, powerful motivational resources, and the Internet's only nicotine-free quit smoking support group, Freedom, and Facebook's most active support site, Turkeyville.
Nicotine addiction is about living a lie. It's about brain dopamine pathways -- the mind's priorities teacher -- being taken hostage and compelled to falsely convince us that smoking nicotine defines who we are, gives us our edge, and allows to cope. Quality cessation programs destroy false fears and needless anxieties, allowing quitters to notice and appreciate the unfolding beauty as they journey home.
Smokers would be wise to ponder the question, what dependency or recovery learning takes place by swallowing a pill, slapping on a patch, chewing gum, sucking a lozenge, getting hypnotized, enduring acupuncture or laser therapy? Although knowledge truly is power, it's a quitting method too that can dramatically enhance success. Let World No Tobacco Day be a day of discovery. Just one rule determining the outcome for all: no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time, Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew.
WhyQuit's World No Tobacco Day Articles
- World No Tobacco Day 2019
- Friday, May 31, 2019 World No Tobacco Day
- Turning World No Tobacco Day Into Victory
- Ten Free World No Tobacco Day Quitting Tools
- World No Tobacco Day: a Call to Action
- World No Tobacco Day: a Golden Midyear Opportunity
- World No Tobacco Day Quit Smoking Tips
- World No Tobacco Day Quit Smoking Guide
- World No Tobacco Day: Shedding Dependency Ignorance
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free E-books
Read both & destroy fear driven anxieties!
Discover Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's basic guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to more than a thousand nicotine cessation articles, videos and support group discussions.
- Joel's Library - Joel Spitzer began presenting stop smoking clinics and seminars in 1976. WhyQuit's education director since 2000, Joel's Library is home to his life's work. It includes Joel's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide," more than 100 original stop smoking articles, his free ebook "Never Take Another Puff," and to his ever growing collection of more than 400 stop smoking videos.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine shares the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
- Turkeyville - Imagine surrounding yourself with more than 10,000 cold turkey quitters. Turkeyville is a Facebook support group exclusively for cold turkey quitters.
- Freedom - Freedom was WhyQuit's original 1999 stop smoking support group. No longer accepting members, its 453,000 archived posts continue to share recovery insights.