Thousands download free quit smoking book
Imagine it taking the death of America's most beloved news anchor, Peter Jennings, to awaken smokers to the availability of a totally free and highly effective quitting book. It's happening. So far during August, more than 18,000 visitors to WhyQuit.com have downloaded a 149 page PDF quitting book entitled "Never Take Another Puff."
Written by Joel Spitzer of Chicago, could mastering the 98 lessons in his free quitting book provide readers with up to 40% odds of successful long-term nicotine cessation, when a March 2003 study found that the over-the-counter nicotine patch and gum afforded smokers just 7% odds of quitting for six months?
"Absolutely," says John R. Polito, a former thirty-year three pack-a-day smoker and editor of WhyQuit.com. "Joel Spitzer has devoted his entire life to working with and studying quitters. His amazing insights consistently produce some of the highest success rates anywhere."
Spitzer's career started as a volunteer with the American Cancer Society in 1972. Since then he has presented more than 325 six-session quitting clinics spanning 13 days (each session two hours), and over 570 single session seminars. "He truly is the Henry Aaron/Babe Ruth of smoking cessation," says Polito.
Today Spitzer presents clinics and seminars for the Evanston and Skokie divisions of the Illinois Departments of Health. Since January 2000, he has also served as education director at Freedom from Tobacco, a free online message board quitting forum where he daily presents lessons and counseling to new quitters.
Spitzer's free quitting book can be downloaded at whyquit.com/book.html. "In a world driven by the almighty dollar it's refreshing to watch a man who continues to so freely share his time, talent, wisdom and skill," says Polito.
Health, education, civic and non-profit groups are invited to print and share Spitzer's book, together with other spin-off quitting documents found at the above link. They're also invited to add the organization's own cover, logo and message to each. Spitzer's only requests are that there never be any charge or cost to recipients and that all content, copyrights and attributions remain in place.
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free E-books
Read both & destroy fear driven anxieties!
Discover Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's basic guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to more than a thousand nicotine cessation articles, videos and support group discussions.
- Joel's Library - Joel Spitzer began presenting stop smoking clinics and seminars in 1976. WhyQuit's education director since 2000, Joel's Library is home to his life's work. It includes Joel's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide," more than 100 original stop smoking articles, his free ebook "Never Take Another Puff," and to his ever growing collection of more than 400 stop smoking videos.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine shares the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
- Turkeyville - Imagine surrounding yourself with more than 10,000 cold turkey quitters. Turkeyville is a Facebook support group exclusively for cold turkey quitters.
- Freedom - Freedom was WhyQuit's original 1999 stop smoking support group. No longer accepting members, its 453,000 archived posts continue to share recovery insights.