The Perfect Smoker Gift: Free MP3 Counseling
Why give smoking friends and loved ones holiday gifts that ignore their greatest need, the insights needed to quit? Picture yourself spending 30 to 60 minutes downloading a free 270 MB zipped file containing 64 audio quitting lessons. Picture your smoker spending 11 hours with a counselor who has devoted 35 years to helping smokers break free.
Joel Spitzer is America's Henry Aaron/Babe Ruth of quitting. Having started as a volunteer with the American Cancer Society in 1972, he has since presented more than 325 six-session quitting clinics spanning 13 days (each session two hours), and over 570 single session seminars.
A visionary, Joel recognized smoking as true drug addiction while the rest of the medical and scientific community contended that it was simply a habit. Today, the pharmaceutical industry continues to focus on the smoke, while Joel takes aim at the fire's source, nicotine use.
WhyQuit.com is home to Joel's Library. Thanks to a Connecticut acoustic rock guitarist experienced in working with audio files, Joel's "MP3 Audio Counseling Download" is the library's latest addition. Although the audio lessons have been available for individual download at WhyQuit since 2006, thanks to David King, they can now all be downloaded at once, unzipped and installed on an MP3 player.
"I came up with the idea to do this because I want to share the files with my sister (for a Christmas present) and install them on an MP3 Player to give her," explains King, who has been nicotine-free for 43 days. "By formatting everything, it will make it easy for her to navigate through the files and provides a more 'finished' presentation (for a gift). I have no idea if she has any interest in quitting smoking, but this method has worked for me, so maybe she will consider giving it a try."
"For me, the ability to listen to the files anywhere and anytime privately was very helpful," says King. "Even though I quit 6 weeks ago, I still listen to the files pretty regularly for reinforcement. I can do this on my lunch hour, while walking or whatever. The portability of it is great. Hopefully other people will agree and do the same."
Visitors to Joel's Library will also find his popular free stop smoking e-book "Never Take Another Puff," which has recorded 2.1 million downloads since August 2005.
We're told that half of adult smokers are losing 13 years (males) to 14 years (females) of life expectancy. Knowledge is power. Consider giving a gift of life this holiday season, the understanding needed to stop smoking nicotine and stay quit.
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free Quitting E-books
Read both books & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method
Written December 18, 2009 and page format updated June 7, 2015 by John R. Polito