October 2004 Marlboro/Virginia Slims Ad in "U.S. News & World Report" Fails to Include any Health Warning Label
|Magazine: U.S. News & World Report
Date: October 18, 2004
Title: How things grow
Author: Altria Group
Full Text of Altria Advertisement - Emphasis Added
How things grow. by the parent of operating companies who purchased over $5 billion of American commidities last year.
Ad Content: Good soil. The right weather. Long months of hard work. In the agricultural industry, you need them all.
But in the end, what you count on is a market. And we provide a significant one.
As the parent of Kraft Foods, Philip Morris International and Philip Morris USA, we are proud that our operating companies purchased over $5 billion of American commodities last year. Such as dairy products from Wisconsin and California for Kraft Natural Cheese. Grains from Illinois and Kansas for Post Cereals. Tobaccos from Kentucky and North Carolina for Marlboro and Virginia Slims. To name just a few.
Our operating companies make some of America's finest brands. To do so, they start by buying the finest agricultural products on earth. The ones made right here.
Because while our name might not mean much to you, it means everything to us.
Our name is Altria Group.
(corporate logo) Altria
Philip Morris International
Philip Morris USA
Copyright Altria Group, Inc. 2004
Related Reading on Advertising, Youth Targeting
& Nicotine Addiction
- Marlboro "Maybe" Archetype Ad Campaign - October 29, 2013 - Is Philip Morris International (PMI) currently toying with neuronal definition imprinting within a child's subconscious mind? View 45 Marlboro "Maybe" ads and contrast the lessons being taught to a 1991 Philip Morris study entitled the "Archetype Project."
- Marlboro maker's report ignores youth addiction - October 22, 2013 - Article reviews how Philip Morris International's 2012 Annual Report ignores discussing PMI's core business, nicotine addiction, or the fact that the vast majority of new regular customers were addicted children and teens.
- Student Warning: Nicotine addiction can be quick and permanent September 17, 2013 - Research suggests that inhaling or sucking nicotine juice just one or two times can result in being unable to stop using nicotine for the rest of your life.
- Addiction to Smoking Nicotine a Mental Illness - April 12, 2010 - According to Dr. Nora D. Volkow, Director of the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), "drug addiction is a mental illness. It is a complex brain disease characterized by compulsive, at times uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use despite devastating consequences ..."
- Enslaved college smokers pay hefty price - October 18, 2009 - Who wants to befriend, date, marry or hire a drug addict? Not only are dependent college students forced to daily wear the stink and stigma of their addiction, a new survey reports that university student smokers are five times more likely than non-smokers to believe that their physical fitness is declining.
- City and County Council Inaction Hand Youth to Nicotine Industry - September 29, 2009 - A rash of recent studies declare the insanity of city and county councils continuing to allow nicotine addiction industry marketing to transform neighborhood stores into subliminal child and teen brainwashing centers.
- Inconsistent Flavor of Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids - October 13, 2008 - Last week the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids (TFK) attacked RJ Reynolds for test marketing flavored smokeless tobacco while itself fighting hard for legislation that forbids health officials from requiring removal of menthol flavorings from cigarettes.
- South Carolina legislature values Civil War relics more than children - November 18, 2008 - Since 2000, the legislature has spent $30 million preparing to showcase a single civil war relic, the Confederate submarine Hunley. From 2000-2008 the legislature spent just $12.5 million on youth nicotine addiction prevention.
- School smoking and nicotine dependency: students helping students - November 28, 2006 - A guide to using postive peer pressure in destroying smoking's image within schools.
- Convenience Stores - Nicotine Addiction Central - March 18, 2006 - An army of 140,655 U.S. convenience stores has become the tobacco industry's key partner in enticing children and teens to smoke nicotine, in providing the cigarettes that enslave them, in servicing their chemical dependency into adulthood.
- Philip Morris revises "Raising kids who don't smoke" - December 5, 2005 - Why parents wanting to teach their child or teen the unabridged truth about smoking might be wise to select a teacher other than Philip Morris USA.
- Kids just don't get it - October 5, 2005 - Educators continue to deprive students of meaningful information which would aid them in understanding both the magnitude of the danger and the power of nicotine to permanently addict and enslave them.
- Latina Magazine - enslaving & killing Hispanic females - September 3, 2005 - The 1996 brain-child and heritage reflector of Mexican-American Christy Haubegger, today Latina magazine, owned by Latina Media Ventures LLC, has become the tobacco industry's #1 tool for permanently addicting young Hispanic females to America's #1 killer - chemical dependency upon smoking nicotine.
- Philip Morris' "Could your kid be smoking?" - August 30, 2005 - A critical review of Philip Morris USA's third sixteen-page youth smoking prevention brochure entitled, Could your kid be smoking?
- The New Jazz Philosophy Tour 2005 - June 15, 2005 - R.J. Reynolds uses music as bait to enslave another generation of African-Americans.
- What tobacco issue is important to Philip Morris? - June 3, 2005 - PM's first "trust us" booklet is entitled "Raising Kids Who Don't Smoke" and it's loaded with half-truths that are more confusing than honest.
- Attorneys General consent to school tobacco advertising - June 24, 2005 - On June 20, New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer boasted "major success" in a selective binding agreement that will remove tobacco ads from public school library editions of Time, Newsweek, People and Sports Illustrated. But what about scores of other magazines?
- Understanding Philip Morris's pursuit of US government regulation of tobacco, McDaniel, PA, et al, Tobacco Control, Volume 14, Number 3, Pages 193-200, June 2005 (link to free full text article).
- Time Inc. tobacco ads trap and harvest teens in school - February 27, 2005 - You'd be shocked at the nicotine addiction marketing ongoing in your school's library. And the sad part is that the ads are there on purpose.
- Who did R.J. Reynolds advertising target during the summer of 2004? - September 27, 2004 - A poll seeking reader input on the aim of specific 2004 ads.
- Financial Ties and Conflicts of Interest Between Pharmaceutical and Tobacco Companies - 2002 - a study detailing Philip Morris' uneasy partnership with the pharmaceutical industry, and why you have never and never will hear any nicotine replacement product commerical tell you why you need to quit, because smoking kills.
- Philip Morris' Mission Exploration Project - June 27, 2000 - A 140 page PDF file outlining Philip Morris USA's plan for, in part, transforming itself into a highly respected nicotine pharmaceutical company, the same vision RJ Reynolds had in 1972.
- Philip Morris' Archetype Project - August 20, 1991 - A 16 page PDF file detailing what Philip Morris USA learned from its archetype sessions about imprinting smoking upon the neuronal pathways of a child's brain.
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free Quitting E-books
Read both books & demolish quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method
Created October 28, 2004 and page format updated June 13, 2015 by John R. Polito