Cold turkey cure for Thanksgiving smoking
Lied to by the pharmaceutical industry for decades, what better day than Thanksgiving to teach smokers the truth about quitting methods and how most succeed?
Visitors to Nicorette.com are slammed with the assertion that Nicorette nicotine gum will "Double Your Chances of Quitting." Visitors to the cold turkey quitting site
WhyQuit.com learn the truth, that after 30 years and billions spent on Nicorette marketing, that a July 2013 Gallup Poll found that only 1 in 100 ex-smokers credit nicotine gum for their success.
Common sense screams that it's impossible for the brain to adjust to functioning without nicotine while it continues to arrive.
As found by the Gallup Poll, when all approved quitting products such as Nicorette, Nicoderm, Nicotrol, Habitrol, Commit, Zyban and Chantix are combined, they account for only a tiny fraction of all successful ex-smokers, just 1 out of 12 (8 percent). But did those 8 percent quit because of having toyed with dopamine pathway stimulating chemicals or in spite of it?
How do most quitters succeed? As documented by the Poll, more smokers quit smoking cold turkey than by all other methods combined.
I submit that false quitting product marketing is worse than simply constituting a deceptive trade practice or consumer fraud. The tail isn't only wagging the dog, it's killing it.
Quitting product makers such as GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer cannot tell smokers the truth. Their websites keep secret mounting evidence that the nicotine gum, patch, lozenge, inhaler, spray, and prescription medications (bupropion and varenicline) undercut a smoker's long-term chances of quitting, that placebo-controlled clinical trials were not blind as claimed and reflect junk science at its worst, that years spent toying with replacement nicotine is costing lives.
As indicated above, cold turkey has continued to prevail since this 2013 article was written. Click the image to learn about this study and others.
Trust your natural instincts. Whether a light or heavy smoker, cold turkey is substantially more effective than approved products.
Most smokers have never tried smart turkey. Imagine becoming smarter than your addiction is strong. Imagine knowledge and understanding destroying quitting fears and the anxieties they breed.
Nicotine addiction is a brain wanting disorder in which nicotine compromised dopamine pathways assign nicotine use the same priority as they assign to eating food. There is only one rule to successful quitting. It's called the Law of Addiction.
Cold turkey quitting is vastly more do-able than pharmaceutical industry marketing suggests. It's fast too. The body becomes nicotine-free and moves beyond peak withdrawal within 72 hours of ending all use. Most withdrawal symptoms are blood sugar related and avoidable. As for cue triggered crave episodes, they normally begin to subside within 3 minutes but time distortion or panic can make them feel longer.
Why fear coming home for Thanksgiving? Recovery is a temporary journey of readjustment that leads to entire days where you never once think about wanting to smoke nicotine. And there is no need to go it alone.
WhyQuit.com receives 2.2 million annual visitors and is dedicated to cold turkey quitting. WhyQuit offers two free quitting books, "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" and "Never Take Another Puff," more than 200 cold turkey quitting videos, and two cold turkey support groups, Turkeyville on Facebook and Freedom, a Yuku messageboard.
According to the CDC, "the life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for nonsmokers." That's at least 10 Thanksgivings where your smoking friends won't be celebrating with you.
If one of our friends had an illness that was slowly destroying them, would we have the courage to point them in the right direction, to motivate them to seek help? Knowledge isn't just power, it's a quitting method. Please share this article with them. Together we can make a difference!
- 07/18/18 - Cold turkey clobbers e-cigs, NRT and Chantix - John R. Polito
- 12/22/17 - JNCI study finds pharmaceutical stop smoking aids ineffective - John R. Polito
- 03/16/15 - Nicotine cessation: lost in the deserts of Abu Dhabi - John R. Polito
- 01/01/15 - 10 studies screaming "leave replacement nicotine alone!" - John R. Polito
- 01/20/14 - The Surgeon General's Reports: 50 years of cessation ignorance - John R. Polito
- 11/30/13 - Australia's half-baked quit smoking campaign - John R. Polito
- 11/18/13 - The Great American quit smoking sham - John R. Polito
- 10/19/13 - BMJ's non-publication policy should extend to pharma's nicotine - John R. Polito
- 08/26/13 - Gallup Poll: cold turkey 48 times smarter than Nicorette - John R. Polito
- 07/15/13 - Cold turkey quitting still king - John R. Polito
- 06/21/13 - My personal views on Chantix - Joel Sptizer
- 08/20/12 - Pharma bias destroys ITC quit smoking medication study - John R. Polito
- 03/17/12 - Potent warnings, horrible quitting advice: what's the CDC smoking? - John R. Polito
- 02/11/12 - Replacement Nicotine's Killing Fields - John R. Polito
- 12/22/11 - Chantix study joins negative findings omissions club - John R. Polito
- 11/14/11 - Dying truths about quitting smoking methods - John R. Polito
- 11/03/11 - Bias against cold turkey quitting apparent in literature - Michael Siegel, MD
- 11/03/11 - Suicidal behavior and depression in smoking cessation treatments - Moore TJ et al
- 11/01/11 - Study finds cold turkey quitting more effective but concludes opposite - Moore TJ et al
- 08/08/11- Tar wars over smoking cessation - , - BMJ Link - Professor Simon Chapman
- 06/14/11 - Is a 14% Chantix success rate worth risking death? - John R. Polito
- 03/30/11 - Chantix fails to defeat nicotine patch - John R. Polito
- 01/28/11 - Chantix serious injuries exceed 8,500 - John R. Polito
- 01/06/11 - Champix - Chantix worth questioned - John R. Polito
- 11/02/10 - GlaxoSmithKline Continues Defrauding Smokers - John R. Polito
- 08/08/10 - Little communication in failed war against smoking - John R. Polito
- 03/24/10 - Smokefree.gov really Buymeds.now - John R. Polito
- 12/29/09 - Five facts Chantix ads keep hidden - John R. Polito
- 10/22/08 - Pfizer's Chantix Continues Killing Quitters - John R. Polito
- 06/12/08 - Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evidence - John R. Polito
- 05/13/08 - Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths - John R. Polito
- 05/21/08 - Strong Safety Signal Seen for New Varenicline Risks - ISMP
- 05/13/08 - U.S. quit smoking policy integrity drowns in pharmaceutical influence - John R. Polito
- 05/05/08 - Does updated tobacco treatment "Guideline" reflect sham science? - John R. Polito
- 04/03/08 - FDA pulls video clip admitting Chantix suicide link - John R. Polito
- 04/02/08 - New FDA Chantix suicide risk video clip raises concerns - John R. Polito
- 02/29/08 - FDA Chantix Handling Betrayed Public Health - John R. Polito
- 10/19/07 - Video: WhyQuit's candid views on Chantix & Champix - Joel Spitzer
- 09/19/07 - Can Chantix Cause Depression? - - The People's Pharmacy,
- 03/12/07 - Flawed research equates placebo to cold turkey - John R. Polito
- 02/08/07 - Nicotine Fix - Behind Antismoking Policy, Influence of Drug Industry - Kevin Helliker
- 02/08/07 - WSJ Highlights Financial Conflicts of Chair of Federal Guidelines Panel - Michael Siegel, MD
- 03/07/07 - Nixing the Patch: Smokers quit cold turkey - Ken Millstone
- 03/01/07 - Nicotine for the Fetus, the Infant and Adolescent - - H.K. Ginzel, MD
- 02/19/07 - New Study Challenges Thinking on Use of NRT During Pregnancy - Michael Siegel, MD
- 01/07/07 - The secret to quitting smoking - John R. Polito
- 01/25/07 - Financial Ties Between Guideline Panels and Big Pharma Run Deep - Michael Siegel, MD
- 12/16/06 - Chantix - an 8 in 10 failure rate or worse? - John R. Polito
- 12/07/06 - Do physician's have a legal duty to ignore Guideline Recommendation 7? - John R. Polito
- 10/29/06 - Is the U.S. government's quitting policy killing smokers? - John R. Polito
- 08/25/06 - Will Chantix really help me quit smoking? - John R. Polito
- 07/12/06 - Conference Sponsorship by Pharma Precludes Objective Symposium - Michael Siegel, MD
- 07/10/06 - 13th World Conference on Tobacco or Health Drenched in Nicotine - John R. Polito
- 05/19/06 - Cold Turkey Twice as Effective as NRT or Zyban - John R. Polito
- 04/18/06 - Nicotine Not Medicine, Its Use Not Therapy - John R. Polito
- 12/13/05 - GlaxoSmithKline Attacks Cold Turkey Quitting - John R. Polito
- 12/29/05 - UK Guidance for NRT use in pregnancy and by children - ASH London
- 05/??/05 - June 2000 Guideline Chairman Michael Fiore's Testimony - see PDF pages 14 & 15 -
- 04/04/05 - The Nicotine Patch, Gum and Lozenge - Mounting Evidence of a Sham - John R. Polito
- 10/18/04 - 40 Years of Progress? - Joel Spitzer
- 05/19/04 - Widespread Blinding Failures Put NRT Studies in Serious Question - John R. Polito
- 05/17/04 - Nicotine Gum Maker's Concern Raises Concerns - John R. Polito
- 05/02/04 - A Quitter's Dilemma: Hooked on the Cure - Petra Bartosiewicz
- 04/27/04 - Quebec CT Quitters Disprove "Double Your Chances" NRT Assertion - John R. Polito
- 11/25/03 - Quitting Methods - Who to Believe? - Joel Spitzer
- 07/18/03 - Is CT Quitting More Productive & Effective than NRT? - John R. Polito
- 06/11/03 - Are Teens Getting Hooked on NRT? - John R. Polito
- 03/05/03 - March 2003 OTC NRT Meta-Analysis Finds 93% Midyear Relapse Rate - John R. Polito
- 02/18/03 - Are nicotine weaning products a bad joke? - John R. Polito
- 09/11/02 - JAMA Study Concludes NRT is Ineffective - John R. Polito
- 06/30/02 - Real-World Nicotine Patch and Gum Rates - John R. Polito
- 04/08/02 - Does the OTC Nicotine Patch Really Double Your Chances of Quitting? - John R. Polito
- 11/14/00 - Is Nicotine Replacement Therapy The Smoker's Last Best Hope? - John R. Polito
- 06/28/00 - Financial Disclosures for June 2000 Guideline Panel - U.S. Public Health Service
- 06/28/00 - June 2000 Guideline Recommendation 7 - pharmacotherapy use by all quitters - U.S. Public Health Service
- 10/15/97 - Glaxo Wellcome's objectives in creating UW Foundation million dollar endowed chair for Michael Fiore - Glaxo Wellcome
How to Quit Smoking
Our Free E-books
Read both & destroy fear driven anxieties!
Discover Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's basic guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to more than a thousand nicotine cessation articles, videos and support group discussions.
- Joel's Library - Joel Spitzer began presenting stop smoking clinics and seminars in 1976. WhyQuit's education director since 2000, Joel's Library is home to his life's work. It includes Joel's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide," more than 100 original stop smoking articles, his free ebook "Never Take Another Puff," and to his ever growing collection of more than 400 stop smoking videos.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine shares the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
- Turkeyville - Imagine surrounding yourself with more than 10,000 cold turkey quitters. Turkeyville is a Facebook support group exclusively for cold turkey quitters.
- Freedom - Freedom was WhyQuit's original 1999 stop smoking support group. No longer accepting members, its 453,000 archived posts continue to share recovery insights.
Knowledge is a Quitting Method