If You Could Spend
a Day With Me
by Dr. Maria Werner-Wasik, M.D.
As a radiation oncologist, I treat patients with lung cancer every day.
One of them is a 31 year old woman now receiving palliative (temporizing)
treatment for her widespread small cell lung cancer compressing blood vessels
in her chest and making her very short of breath. She has preschool children at home. She did not smoke very much but had started young. When I look at her in the waiting room she appears like a teenager herself.
It seems that a lesser amount of smoking is necessary for women than men
before they develop lung cancer. A few years ago, lung cancer became the
most common cause of cancer death in women here in the United States, well ahead of breast cancer. Such is the price women are paying for the Virginia Slims campaign. The cigarettes indeed make those women quite slim.
I endorse WhyQuit's message and wish it luck. The idea of showing,
publicly, people dying of lung cancer to deter others from doing so may
be repulsive to some, but I support it. People who do not see those patients
find it hard to believe that cancer can strike them personally. If "Saving
private Ryan" can show blood pouring from the intestines and film severed
extremities on the battlefield to show the truth about war, so can we -
anti-smoking activists - show people suffering from cancer, who are willing
to share their experience.
Please feel free to quote my letter on your web page. Good luck again.
Maria Werner-Wasik, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Thomas Jefferson Medical College
Have you met Noni? If not, click on her photo.
She was 32 when lung cancer was discovered.
How to Quit Smoking
Read our free quitting e-books
Read both and watch knowledge destroy quitting anxieties!
Learn More About Smart Turkey Quitting
- WhyQuit.com - WhyQuit is the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the stop smoking method used by the vast majority of all successful long-term ex-smokers. Left to right, WhyQuit is organized under three headings: (1) Motivation, (2) Education and (3) Support.
- "Never Take Another Puff" - Imagine a free 149 page stop smoking ebook that's registered more than 4 million downloads and was written by a man who has devoted 40 years, full-time to helping smokers quit. Never Take Another Puff (NTAP) was authored by Joel Spitzer, the Internet's leading authority on how to stop smoking cold turkey. It is an insightful collection of almost 100 articles on every cessation topic imaginable.
- "Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" - Written by John R. Polito, a former 30-year heavy smoker and WhyQuit's 1999 founder, Freedom from Nicotine (FFN) is a free nicotine dependency recovery book that documents the science underlying nicotine dependency and successful cessation. Whether hooked on cigarettes, e-cigarettes (e-cigs), bidis, kreteks, a pipe, hookah or cigars, on dip, chew, snuff or snus, or on the nicotine gum, lozenge, spray, inhaler or patch, FFN provides a comprehensive yet easy to follow road-map to freedom from nicotine.
- Turkeyville - Visit Turkeyville, Facebook's most popular quit smoking support group. The group's primary focus is the first few days and helping new quitters get started. Yes you can!
- Joel's Library - Joel's Library is home to Joel Spitzer's "Daily Quitting Lesson Guide." The Guide walks new quitters through the first two weeks of smoking cessation, recommending daily videos to watch and articles to read. Joel's Library is also home to more than 100 original short stop smoking articles, to his free ebook Never Take Another Puff, and to his collection of more than 200 video stop smoking lessons.
- Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to understanding nicotine dependency.
- Freedom - Looking for a deadly serious and highly focused education oriented support group? Home to Joel Spitzer, Freedom is the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free peer messageboard support forum. Explore Freedom's hundreds of thousands of archived member posts on how to quit smoking.
- Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - An alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions, article and videos.
- 40 Quitting Tips - Key cold turkey nicotine cessation tips on how to stop smoking, vaping, chewing or sucking nicotine into your body and bloodstream.
| Knowledge is a Quitting Method|